Friday, April 3, 2020

Week of April 6, 2020

Dear Mitchell Families,

 

I'm sure by now you've all heard the news from Governor Whitmer directing an extended closure through the end of this school year for all Michigan schools. If you haven't had the opportunity to read the message from Superintendent Swift, I encourage you to do so - you can read it by CLICKING HERE

 

I know this announcement might bring some anxieties and worries for kids and families. Please know that the Mitchell staff and I are here to help in any way we can – we miss you and our number one goal for the entire "Mitchell Family" is to be safe and healthy. I'm sure this announcement will also bring many questions. I want you to know that, while I might not have all the answers in this moment, I will work to find answers to your questions. I'm thinking about things like:

·      Yearbooks – I know this is an important memento from our school year together 

·      Technology – I'll continue to work to get technology to those who do not have it

·      Fall Enrollment – Please see below

·      Spring Report Cards – I'll update you as soon as I have more information

·      Building Access – Most likely, some kids have still personal items at school

·      And Much More! 

 

I'm also thinking, with a bit of a heavy heart, about our fifth graders. Graduation, the year-end video and the last day of school "clap-out" for our fifth graders are Mitchell traditions. I want our fifth graders to know that while me might not be able to celebrate in our traditional ways, I am thinking about how to celebrate each one of them and their accomplishments. When the time is right and it's safe to do so, we will celebrate! I'll share thoughts and details in the coming weeks…

 

For now, the Mitchell teachers are ready for a virtual return to school next week. The details for next week are posted below. In the days following spring break, we will transition to a more significant distance learning education model for students. The details of this model will be shared soon. 

 

Stay safe. Be well. I'm thinking of you,

Matt