Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Mitchell Expansion Update - Colors of New Addition

​​​​​​Dear Mitchell PTO and Staff,

Thank you for the feedback about the colors of the Mitchell phase 1 addition.

It isn't surprising I've heard a range of reactions and input around the color choice of the outside of the building.  To be perfectly clear, I am thankful and happy to receive this input.  It is helpful especially in a moment that requires a quicker decision.

The input I've received about the proposed vibrant green colors has included the following (which includes general reactions from parents and/or teachers):
- I love it.
- I wish it was a slightly darker shade of green.
- I wish it was blue.
- I like the vibrant greens but I want to understand and know more about the overall look of the building that includes phase 2 and 3.
- Vibrant greens make perfect sense for an elementary building
- I connect with the "blades of grass" idea....connects to being a World School for me.
- I like the idea of multiple colors being represented like at King School
- The pop of color is exciting, and I think the kids will love it.
- The color is good, but I think it is really about what happens in the classroom.

In response to this, I have:
1. Checked in with teachers again today to get another read on their input.  All teachers have expressed a range of positive input that includes "I love it" (which is most teachers) to "I like it" or "I am OK with it."
2. I am emailing this to the group that includes PTO parents to receive any additional feedback that was not expressed last night.  The feedback I received last night seemed about 50% "I love it" or "Looks good" and 50% "I'm fine with blades of grass but how about something darker" or "I'm thinking of multiple colors" or "I'm not in love with the green".

In making this decision (albeit with a quick turn around), I want to be clear I'm listening.  Most of what I'm hearing (especially from our teachers) is that the bright greens are exciting and will be a welcome update that connects with the change our school is going through.  It will also say our school is different and special as opposed to the current colors which say our school is a drab eye sore.

I'm also hearing that it would help to know more about what the overall look of the building would be if phase 2 and 3 were completed.  I've asked for some help from the architects with this piece.

In addition, I've also asked to see a version of the school with blues instead of greens.  I've done this to entertain the ideas, but at the same time I also know the majority of input (~85%) is saying "go green".

I also want to remind there are other opportunities for input if you'd like to give it:
- Parent resource room (colors, furniture, uses of, etc)
- Classroom furniture
- Input on phase 2 and phase 3 of the Mitchell expansion (if and when that occurs).

Thank you for any additional input.
Kevin​
​​
​​